Sunday, July 6, 2008

Setting the record (kind of) straight

Just signed a new multi-year deal with the company, so I am feeling pretty good about things, and can now shed some more light on the whole Less is More thing that everybody's been shouting about for so long.

First of all, let me assure you that I know that less is not really more. I know that, dummy. I originally wanted to call the whole thing "less commercials are going to be a good thing for us and for our advertisers," but that cracker programming guy Marcus Aurelius, or whatever the hell his name was, said "hey man, that's a GREAT idea, but you gotta make it snappier. Gotta be three word, 'cause our employees and advertisers are too busy to get it. We've done a bunch of research and found that meaningless three word slogans are much more effective than longer sentances that really mean something."

Okay, I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

I'm so glad that guy works for the Chicago Cubs now. I think he's a hotdog vendor at Wrigley Field or something. But, I was paying the cracker like $18 an hour and figured I had to listen to what he said. My bad.

All that being said however, the last thing I want to do as we return to the sanity of playing as many commercials as we can sell, is saying something stupid like "I listened to a redneck hourly employee who told me to do something I knew was stupid, so we're changing it." Instead, I think I'm going to say something like "Less is More was an unqualified success. Now we're going to make it better."

I like that.

Even though "better" is pretty much "what we used to do."

Next time you're at Wrigley Field, buying a hot dog, say hi to Marcus.

No comments: